Why law firms are choosing DocMoto
"Before we started using DocMoto, file sharing was an absolute nightmare. Each office had its own client directories with an A to Z folder structure. Creating one, giant client directory would involve merging the data of more than 20,000 clients over 23 years of practice. And that could include a lot of people called John Smith!"
|Bob Kueppers, Cooper, Adel and Associates|
At the "discovery" phase of litigation, each side is obliged to disclose relevant documentation and agree on whether the case should go to trial or not. Brian had identified that the opposing client was making an inaccurate statement and was able to prove it by retrieving instantly the relevant documentation on his computer, thanks to DocMoto’s search capability and speed.
|Brian Walters, Walters Dunn, PLLC|
We know of sole practitioners with over 100,000 depositions for just a single case. We know of small law firms who receive hundreds of emails (and letters) every day, all of which need to be read and stored, and found again just at the right moment.
So what is it about DocMoto that makes it so appealing to legal firms?
It comes down to a couple of key reasons
Client/matter centric storage: All electronic material can be “tagged” by both the client and the matter, plus any other tags that will be helpful in retrieval. Once tagged, it's easy to find all material for client X or matter Y.
Consistency: Rules can be imposed on the storage of material. This guarantees a consistent approach for everybody within the firm. With consistency comes a reduction in error and an improvement in the speed of retrieval.
Centralisation: Everything, including email, documents, and even images can be stored in the one central location. This makes searching faster and more thorough. It also ensures that all material is included in the search, avoiding any possible issues with eDiscovery.
Full text and tag searching: Complex searches can be simply performed. Searches can include multiple criteria, such as a combination of tags and text. For example, find all references to Mrs Z in matter Y.
Document access control: Security can be applied to the repository ensuring only the correct people have access to the appropriate material. Confidential matters remain that way.
Client access via the web: Clients can be given secure access to the repository via the web. This improves client service levels, it also further ensures material is consistently stored.
Version control: Material is checked in and out of the repository, with a full revision history being kept of all files.
Audit trail: All material has a full audit trail to see who accessed material and when.
Simplified backup: As everything is in one place, backup is greatly simplified.
Easy to use: DocMoto is a true Mac product. We always say, if you can use iTunes or Finder, you can use DocMoto. But don't take our word for it. One of our customers re-employed their office cleaner as a DocMoto data entry specialist. If that doesn't signify something that's easy to use, we don't know what does!
The discovery process is an vital part of a civil case. In fact it's so important that a significant number of cases are settled after discovery without ever going to court.
By its very nature discovery can be a laborious and therefore expensive task. If anything this is exasperated by computers and electronic media and communication. Now, instead of just paper documents, electronic documents, email and other recording formats all need to be considered.
The problem gets even worse when one considers where electronic media can get itself stored! Emails can be in In-Boxes, documents can be on desktops (and in any number of folders), portables, memory sticks, drop boxes, pretty much anywhere. That's difficult enough when there's just one attorney, but the minute there's more than one the prospect of truly accurate discovery starts to look daunting.
So any improvement in the process can reduce costs, and of course improve the chances of a favorable client outcome.
How can DocMoto help?
DocMoto can help reducing the time taken to complete discovery, and it can also improve the accuracy of the discovery process.
- All material stored DocMoto can store all electronic material. Not just email, or just documents. In fact email, scanned material, documents, video and audio can all be stored.
- Central Storage DocMoto is multi-user, so it provides a secure but central storage repository. In other words a single search can encompass all material received (or created) by every attorney. Compare this with the virtually impossible task of trawling through hard drives, drop boxes, email accounts of every computer in the hope of finding everything.
- Enforced and Uniform Tagging All material can be tagged (or labeled) within DocMoto. This is crucial since it allows material to be tagged as "discoverable" or not, as well as the case number, dates and so on.
- Searching All material is centrally stored, and correctly tagged. So the final piece is searching. DocMoto can search all material, and in one search it can include both tag information and a file's actual content.
- Easy to use For any system to make a difference it does need to be used, sorry, there's no way around that. But DocMoto is as easy to use as they come. It's a true Mac product, so it looks and feels like all the other software in the practice. It's easy to learn, and quick to get to grips with.
Putting it all together
So if we take all these items together you can see how DocMoto can dramatically improve the efficiency, accuracy and cost of the discovery process. By storing everybody's material centrally, with consistent tagging, it becomes trivial to find all material, classed as discoverable, for a given case.
Don't just take our word for it!
We have been lucky enough to work with some of the most forward thinking law firms out there, for the full story of how one major law firm Cooper Adel & Associates used DocMoto to improve their document management take a look at our case study.
If you are a legal practice looking to implement a professional multi-user document and file management system for your Mac users contact us today